The Top 25 painting and printmaking books of 2020
At Jackson’s we have hundreds of useful and inspiring books for artists to help you get the most out of your painting time and materials. Since many in-person courses and workshops have been cancelled, a book or DVD might be a good alternative. They also make great gifts, by themselves or with some art materials.
Our bestseller list of 2020 is headed by an especially popular book about cold wax painting, which is the book in the image above. The other bestsellers are practical art books mostly about the mediums of watercolour and printmaking, with the most popular subjects being painting flowers, the figure, and colour. But there are some books about oil and acrylics as well, and some favourite titles from last year are still going strong! To browse our Book Department, filter your results using the tick boxes on the left side of the screen or the finder tool at the top of the list, and add a book to your materials order. Learn something new!
- Cold Wax Medium: Techniques, Concepts & Conversations
Rebecca Crowell And Jerry Mclaughlin
- Linocut for Artists and Designers
- The Modern Flower Painter: Creating Vibrant Botanical Portraits in Watercolour
- Chinese Brush Painting: Traditional and contemporary techniques using ink and water soluble media
- Watercolour Workshop: Projects and Interpretations
- Painting Water in Watercolour: 30 Minute Artist
- Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop: A Modern Guide to the Ancient Art of Mokuhanga
- Billy Showell’s Botanical Painting In Watercolour
- Making Collagraphs Prints Suzie Mackenzie
- Jean Haines’ Colour & Light in Watercolour: new extended edition
- Colour Mixing Guide: Watercolour
- Colour Mixing Guide: Acrylics
- A-Z of Flower Portraits
- Paint Yourself Calm: Colourful, Creative Mindfulness Through Watercolour
- Chromatopia: An Illustrated History of Colour
- Colour Mixing Guide: Oils
- Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
- The Oil Painter’s Bible: An Essential Reference for the Practising Artist New Edition
- Making Woodblock Prints
Merlyn Chesterman and Rod Nelson
- Portrait Painting Atelier: Old Master Techniques and Contemporary Applications
- Kremer Pigmente Recipe Book
- David Bellamy’s Skies, Light and Atmosphere in Watercolour
- Drawing and Painting People: A Fresh Approach
- Art of Sumi-E: Beautiful ink painting using Japanese brushwork
- Charles Bargue and Jean-Leon Gerome: Drawing Course
Gerald M. Ackerman
Did your favourite painting books make the list?
Postage on orders shipped standard to mainland UK addresses is free for orders of £45.